Saturday, January 12, 2013

Single Serve Dark Chocolate Cake (PS - It's low fat!)



Do remember when you were in elementary school and made a volcano that erupted with baking soda and vinegar? Well, that is the inspiration behind this chocolate cake.

I wanted to make a sweet treat for my husband's birthday, but the problem is there are just 3 of us. If I make a full cake, there is a ton of leftovers. This is dangerous for those of us with no self-control. I was looking into single serve recipes and I came across mug cakes. A single serve microwavable cake. The problem is that all the recipes I found were high in fat - with as much as 3 tablespoons of oil per serving. Then, when I looked for a low calorie option, I kept finding the boxed cake & diet soda combo recipe all over Pinterest. Plus, I do not like boxed cakes other then natural/organic brands as they are filled with chemicals and hydrogenated oils. As far as the diet soda goes, I am trying to conquer my dark master, I know aspartame is like rat poison. 

Here is my version of a low fat, single serving of dark chocolate cake. Did I mention it is moist and totally delish? Or as I would say, "dulcĂ© de-lish". 

I used a rather large mug, so this can easily be a serving for 2.


DARK CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE


dry ingredients
4      tablespoons all-purpose flour (or your favorite gluten free flour combination)
3      tablespoons sugar (I tried stevia and agave, but it was not as good)
1.5   tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
.25   teaspoon baking soda

wet ingredients
3      tablespoons low fat- buttermilk (I like Organic Valley)
3      tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (I like Santa Cruz snack pack size, 1/2 cup portion)
.25   teaspoon pure madagascar vanilla 
.25   teaspoon white distilled vinegar




DIRECTIONS

• in a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients 
• make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add all the wet ingredients
• incorporate until you have a nice smooth mixture
• spray the inside of the mug with a non stick spray 
   (I love my Misto, I always have it filled with Spectrum extra virgin olive oil)
• add the mixture to your mug - make sure it is a large mug it will double in size
• cook in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, it should be firm to the touch
• do not over cook, it will be rubbery
• please note all microwaves are different, my micro seems to be powerful
• let it cool and then, sprinkle with some powdered sugar & enjoy
• this would be great with some fresh raspberries or strawberries



NUTRITION

serving size 1 mug cake
weight watchers points+ = 9 points

calories: 314
total fat: 1.7g
cholesterol: 1.2 mg
total carbs: 72.8
fiber: 4.1
protein: 5.9


FAT BASTARD ADDITIONS

drop in a square of one of you favorite chocolate bars 
aerosol whipped cream (without hydrogenated oils)
hollow out the center and add some almond/peanut butter
hollow out the center and add some preserves my fave store bought brand is Bon Maman
drizzle with a little Chambord and top with vanilla froyo


No comments:

Post a Comment